The Grassland Hunter

The Grassland Hunter
Foxes - I adore them. What's not to adore? Well, sadly, there are some people who don't adore or even like them at all. Some of these people live in my neighbourhood, where this youngster was hunting one early summer evening. I was captivated for a whole 10 minutes whilst balanced in socks on the window ledge. She chased, jumped, sat, scratched, rolled and pooed before staring motionlessly at the houses and sauntering off through a snicket. The problem for the Fox however, is that these grassland areas are at risk of being lost because more and more people are becoming interested in land grabbing. This, without mincing words, really pisses me off. And so I started to fight to try protect the remaining grasslands. Well, I try. I try, to explain (politely) to people and the council, why it is so important to us and the wildlife. I explain and show them photos of the vulnerable biodiversity of our neighbourhood and to protect such increasingly rare pockets of wonder for nature and wildlife is actually a duty, not a passing phase or interest. But my efforts just seem to fall on deaf ears. I've even been ostracized by some for my interventions and efforts, which is pathetic, I know. I just don't understand why these people don't care. What makes people uncaring ? If I had the answer to this then I'd have more hope... In the meantime I'm going to have to hope that schools will adopt a more responsible educational approach by starting to teach children about their local environment and the natural world we have to share. How vulnerable it actually is and our impact on it. Nature and biodiversity should be part of the curriculum. Perhaps if it was, then future generations could start to teach their miserable, destructive, 'kill that spider' parents a thing or two, about harmony. Have to live in hope.

Say hello to my little friends.. (Shot with a camera, not Scarface style)

Say hello to my little friends.. (Shot with a camera, not Scarface style)

*

*

*

*

*

*
Nearly fell off the window ledge looking at this young beauty. A rare chance sighting. She was on the back hedge and had just failed a surprise attack on a Goldfinch at the feeders. Those eyes. Sparrowhawks are pretty Wow.

No. No photos please.

No. No photos please.
Post-breeding Robins and other birds tend to look a mess like this one. They shy away, disappear for a while to moult.

If you don't like Spiders...

If you don't like Spiders...
You should! But in this case you don't have to. Harvestmen are not technically spiders at all as the opiliones order, of which they belong, have a more solid body and the cephalothorax and abdomen are all one body part, as opposed to that of a spider. Also they only have two eyes. Harmless leg ticklers who basically help around the garden feeding on anything from fungi to poo, scavenging. They have no venom either, which is also why I wasn't bothered about this one running up my jeans.

Punk Rock

Punk Rock
I love Kittiwakes. I love it that not only do they shout their own names but they nest wherever suits them. Sadly for them, this is often somewhere many humans consider as inconvenient. These chaps were at home on architecture at the side of The Grand Hotel in Scarborough, East Yorkshire. They don't care how old the building is or if it's human guests like what they've done with the exterior. Bird anarchy in the UK is actually, OK.

Roe Deer.

Roe Deer.
Lovely lovely creatures. Not often seen where I live. This one was snoozing in a gorgeous (rare) meadow, until he somehow heard me in my stealth, Ninja mode, just peeping slowly over a dry stone wall at him. Made my day, week, month...

Je t'aime

Je t'aime
Snails 'at it' in the garden. Fascinating body parts.

Scavenging Scorpion

Scavenging Scorpion
Female Scorpion fly in a field of Meadow Buttercups. Feeding on the Cuckoo spit Frog hopper larvae & maybe hydrating it's self with their foam. Camera shy males were nearby. I gave up trying to photograph them however after creeping around the meadow for about 20 mins only for them to beggar off completely and myself to emerge in cuckoo spit & spider web covered jeans - not a sexy look. Scorpion flies are a very interesting species in that they are not technically flies at all. Mecoptera -' long wings', are an order of insects belonging to some of our earliest known pollinators. Courtship ritual includes male displaying & emitting pheromones from his abdomen and waving his non-venomous 'scorpion' tail (which is actually his genitalia) He also brings her dinner by way of a dead insect as a nuptial gift. If she's impressed she's all his! Bit like the difference between a man taking a woman out for a romantic meal however the wooing success will depend if the males idea of romantic is a candle lit dinner, or a greasy kebab & chips takeaway. Common insects not to be overlooked. I like 'em.

Bob Hoskins...

Bob Hoskins...
What, has a late great actor, got to do with this photo. Well, I don't know why but whenever I see the proboscis of moths, butterflies, I immediately want to say Bob Hoskins instead... which is completely daft but, there you go.

Enter the Wolf Spider...

Enter the Wolf Spider...
On a twig (12mm). Make time & watch them in Spring for courtship displays in your garden or in the park. Male waves in a semaphore fashion to female. Really fascinating stuff. Old pics and mini blogpost further down the page

Hello!

Hello!
I love the inquisitive Zebra Spiders. They tilt their heads and even look up and down to get a better look at you.

Dipper

Dipper
Dipping in the Calder and Hebble. Nice to watch. Very shy.

Kestrels ...

Kestrels ...
Came across a nest site few years ago in Halifax. Watched a Kestrel actually fledge which was a really special experience. Seemingly giving me a hard and slightly unnerving stare that suggested " Leave now if you value your eyeballs..." I left them to it.

Loggerhead Turtle. At sea...

Loggerhead Turtle. At sea...
OK not exactly local, this was off the coast of Crete (2015) but I was just So happy and ecstatic to actually see one in the wild, I thought it deserved a place on this blog.

Water Cricket

Water Cricket
Water Cricket - Is not yet an Olympic sport sadly however This water cricket (Velia caprai) Apparently can dive under the water as well as skate on it. Not to be confused with the Pond skater. I love water bugs they are exceptionally cool creatures... Oh yes.

Meadow Pipit

Meadow Pipit
High on moorland mid Summer (2014)

Parenthood

Parenthood
House Sparrow fledgling being fed by dad. They lived in the eaves above my window until the stealthy Swifts swiftly kicked them out but they cope & are plentiful in my neighbourhood.

Small clouded brindle

Small clouded brindle
I love moths. And to think I used to scream at them when I was Six.

Lost...

Lost...
Forest shield bug on my arm, in my garden. I ensured an old tree line of Maple, Sycamore, Elm and Beech be preserved in my neighbourhood not just for the environment, bats and birds, but for the little guys as well.

BH Gulls...

BH Gulls...
On iced-over reservoir.

Hedgehog hunting under the Ivy (2014)

Hedgehog hunting under the Ivy (2014)

Smallest Tina Turner tribute act in the world...

Smallest Tina Turner tribute act in the world...
...Ruby Tiger moth caterpillar. Gorgeous.

Tree Huggers

Tree Huggers

Waxwing...

Waxwing...
Making short work of apples one winter. Rare visitor to my garden but a welcome one.

Waxwings...

Waxwings...
aerial shot

Lapwing...

Lapwing...
at Malham Tarn. Love these underestimated birds. Declining in the UK sadly.

Bistort and Meadow Buttercups on my local patch

Bistort and Meadow Buttercups on my local patch

A Sleepy Hollow...

A Sleepy Hollow...
Holloways... in this case, a Medieval Hollow which used to be a road hundreds of years ago are seldom found but when they are provide some of the most beautiful walking experiences. This one is now taken over by Holly,Alder,Hazel and Elderflower to name a few of the plant species along the walk which used to be 15 miles long until modernisation over the years. There are old cobbles to walk on most of the way but part of the lane turns into a stream further down, which is redirected into the side before joining an underground stream system, before it then reaches the connecting modern roads at the bottom. This lane called 'Magna' is in Calderdale, West Yorkshire and has been granted Ancient Monument status in the UK as it's one of the few and last remaining well preserved holloways we have. Thankfully only likely to encounter birds, rabbits and the odd dog walker en-route, rather than a headless horseman.

Partial eclipse of the sun 2015...

Partial eclipse of the sun 2015...
Nope, no fancy filter I defied all H&S guidance, dismantled a pair of old polarized sunglasses, stuck it over my (relatively) cheap camera and Voila ! Impending eye damage. But hey it was worth it!

Megga fungi...

Megga fungi...
Huge bracket fungi in the woods. Biggest I've ever seen. And in tact!

BORED

BORED

Reservoir Toads...

Reservoir Toads...
I'd say this situation is self explanatory.

Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Green Army



Nothing like a walk in the woods is there. These fine Pine were surrounding Fewston reservoir in North Yorkshire. There's something quite grounding about walking among tall trees and I find it a humbling and slightly spiritual experience...What?..a Hippy?!..well maybe, at heart.  But the point I wish to make here is that we have to really appreciate what mother nature provides and as a species we need to stop taking our forests and woodlands for granted and where necessary act to save our trees. Many ancient forests and woods up and down the UK are under constant threat from either forest sell off  and or development of one kind or another and in more recent years (2011 onward ) the proposal of the HS2 high speed rail links by our government will basically carve through the middle of England obliterating everything in it's path. Do not be fooled by plans to 'build over important reserve sites by way of bridges...' because in order to build such constructions they have to trash everything underneath them. Decisions made by those in power who cannot see the wood for the trees affect all of us and our natural environment. It is so important, that we keep ourselves up to date with the ever changing policies affecting our native woodlands and open spaces not only up and down the country, but those much nearer to where we live. Our local patches as we call them. The Woodland Trust and the National Trust are both good sources of information:  www.woodlandtrust.org.uk  nationaltrust.org.  As is saveourwoods.co.uk. It is also a very good idea to keep abreast of local planning law changes, especially in relation to Local Plan. Refer to your council web sites and also www.planningportal.gov.uk

' what am I shposhed t' do wi vish lot?!...'

' what am I shposhed t' do wi vish lot?!...'
Said the female Blackbird with a beak-full of nesting material. Was nesting in the hedge in my garden. Until gangs of over interested cats showed up and she gave up.

Leaf Hopper

Leaf Hopper
Similar to Frog Hoppers only slightly differing wings and texture also bristly back legs. Both Veggies thus demolished ex plant in the garden.

Red Admiral

Red Admiral
on Elder in Autumn

Autumn leaves

Autumn leaves

Our Kez

Our Kez
I often like to wander around our local moors and hillsides. I often see the lovely Kestrel hunting too. This male was quite far away & I couldn't get a better close-up with my bog standard camera. But y'know, getting out and about with nature isn't meant to be about getting the perfect photo or image - it's about watching, listening and appreciating the moment and just being grateful for it. Much less stressful and much more enjoyable & memorable. But yes, it's a pretty naff shot.

Autumn mist

Autumn mist

Autumn Fungi

Autumn Fungi

Tiny jelly fungi -only about 1cm diameter. Nice.

Toadless Stools...

Toadless Stools...
Toad stools. (Not to be confused with the stools of Toads which I can only imagine are less attractive to look at)

.

.

Jenny Wren

Jenny Wren

lovely Peacock Butterfly basking in the Sun..Spring 2010

Speckled Wood

Speckled Wood

Small Tortoiseshell

Small Tortoiseshell
on Scabiosa

Rare!

Rare!
...This was the first of two Hedgehogs that I had seen for nearly 4 years (2011/2012) He'd just finished... well... y'know. 'Getting Busy' with a female at the side of my house. I heard them first the saucy devils. But I was So very glad to see (and hear) them back in the neighbourhood. Lots of reasons for Hedgehog decline - increase in cars, poisonous slug pellets used by careless gardeners and habitat loss. Far too many people rip out old hedges because they just can't be asked to look after them. Replacing them with god awful fences does little to help these animals. New house build developers and planners also have a lot to answer for by not incorporating green boundaries, as opposed to fencing which is something I have raised on many occasions on numerous planning proposals in my home town. So if you are lucky enough, yes, lucky enough, to have hedges near where you live, please go out of your way to help protect and promote them and keep them there. Do your bit. It not only keeps you fit cutting them back a little in Summer, but you will also be doing an honorable and invaluable service to countless species of wildlife that depend on them - from spiders, bugs, moths and birds, to the Hedgehog.

Shrine to Bill Bailey ? ...

Shrine to Bill Bailey ? ...
Nah, beard & attire all wrong. Came across this Huge sand sculpture of Charles Darwin, created outside Bradford's City Hall. The artist of this sculpture was called Jamie Wardley. Pretty awesome really. Shame it was eventually destroyed. Incredible piece of work

The great outdoors

The great outdoors
An area where I like to walk a lot in West Yorkshire and a good spot to watch the Swallow barn in Summer.

The Boss

The Boss

A too-far-away pic of Great Crested Grebe & Tufted Duck

A too-far-away pic of Great Crested Grebe & Tufted Duck
..better luck next time.

Beecause I love you..

Beecause I love you..
Solitary bee, I found him asleep on my pyjamas on the washing line early this Spring, so decided to leave them outside over night. It was a very cold evening and in the morning, he was still there but soon flew off once the temperature began to rise. Bees need all the help they can get, so they can snuggle in my jimjams anytime. Well, as long as I'm not wearing them at the time, that is.

.

.